Happy holidays! Whether or not your family celebrates, this is always a great week for get-togethers and some much needed relaxation—and probably a cookie or two!
As this year winds down and home buyers look ahead to 2015, much of the news has been surrounding sky-high costs which, in 2014, hit the outer boroughs in a big way, while continuing to push families out of Manhattan:
- Inventory is up in Manhattan—but likely because the average apartment price rose 20%, to nearly $1.7 million
- Brooklyn ranked the worst in the U.S. in terms of home affordability. The average resident needs 98% his/her income to cover the price of the borough’s average home which, this year, hit $615,000.
- Even Queens’ landscape shifted, with a major rental boom centering on Long Island City. More than 20,000 units are planned, and the push is beginning to permeate other areas, including Astoria, Forest Hills, Rego Park and Jackson Heights.
Need a little post-gift break? Tons of kids shows and performances are happening this weekend, throughout the ‘burbs. Grab tickets to your favorite and create a new fun family tradition!
- The New Jersey Performing Arts Center is, again, staging the holiday classic Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, a lively musical for all ages. Performances run through Saturday.
- In Garden City, the Children’s Museum is hosting The Dishwasher’s Circus, a circus- and clowning-themed performance, now through New Year’s Eve
- In Mamaroneck, there are two great kids’ performances happening this week, Emelin Theater’s Hot Feet! for ages 3-8, and The Westchester Sandbox Theater’s Hot Feet! for ages 3-8, and The Westchester Sandbox Theater’s A Christmas Wizard of Oz,
- The Downtown Cabaret Theatre’s Peter Pan, Jr. closes December 28th, but tickets are still available for the post-holiday weekend performances
Happy holidays! Cheers to a great 2015!